Monday, September 8, 2008

I [don't] want to be Sarah Palin when I grow up.

I have talked to many conservatives, male and female who are fixated on Sarah Palin, her strength, her communication skills, and her policies. I have heard the expression "I want to be Sarah Palin when I grow up" over five times by different people from different backgrounds.

For some Republicans, she is a rare beacon of "feminism." (the first female Republican candidate for the vice-presidency.)

Those who know me know that I am, to an extent, a feminist. I am not hesitant to call out male chauvinists in the Church, academia, and in our still male-dominated society. But I also have no problem pointing out problems I have with women either.

Sarah Palin is a mother of five. The youngest of which is only four months old, and has Downs Syndrome. Her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant. Her son is in Iraq. And she has two other daughters who are still at pivotol ages. On this alone, should she be sacrificing the commitment, energy, and time that her children need for office? As Joe Biden alluded, the United States can have another [vice president], but her children cannot have another [mother or father].

I find this distressing and disappointing. It's not even a gender issue, its a person issue. A woman should be President one day. Women are every bit as capable, brilliant, and dedicated to be the President of the U.S. Sarah Palin, perhaps after more experience in politics, and when she is older, might make a good President. Nonetheless, I argue, no man or woman, should sacrifice their family, for a political office. Is it really worth it?

This is a strongly conservative argument, and I am floored by the mass amounts of praise and approval from the Republican party that John McCain's decision has received.

Anyways, off of my soap box. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about it. It creates ambiguity and inconsistency in conservative values. I disagree with some of her other policies, but this isn't about my political views- its about conservatives' political views. What happened to family values and responcibility? The party that claims to be at the forefront of this social movement is masquerading as an irresponcible inexperienced conservative feminist. If there is such a thing.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

Hey Caroline,

Just to leave a comment here. I think that Sarah Palin is in a very tough position. If she is indeed the Vice President she will have a hard time. But I'd like to mention that there are a lot of male politicians in our country with young children at "pivotal ages" who continue on with their careers, as well. If we as a society do not ask them what they think they're doing, let's not nag Sarah Palin about it. I'm sure that she and her family have talked about it and came to this decision together.

Sorry for the ramble. It's getting late here!

From Ireland,
Abigail

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Just because other people, of whatever gender do it, doesn't make it right. I tried to make it clear that the idea in general, whether the person is male or female, is questionable.

All politicians don't do it; i.e. Joe Biden. And I think that they prioritize family is very respectful.

As for her family making the decision together- that's not a given.