Monday, January 4, 2010

Washington DC

We had a Tasmanian devil of a trip to Washington DC that was fun, busy, educational, and a little stressful. We would have missed our flight there if it weren't for the stroller lane! We bypassed a long line through security, thankfully. (I learned this trick from my first flight with Dmitri. Even though we don't really use the stroller, it does give you a little shortcut!)

We shared a hotel room with David's brother and sister-in-law, which was a nice chance to visit with them, as well as have a retreat from David's large and somewhat contentious family. = ) If I were Heather Armstrong I might write more about it. But I'll have a little self-restraint, for now. It was my first time to really spend time with David's dad's side of the family. It was wonderful to get to know them; they were very kind, hospitable, and welcoming!

Since this was my first trip to D.C. we had to hit up some of the monuments. It was much more impressive than I was expecting. For some reason, after being to Europe, I kind of figured that the government buildings would be unimpressive and forgettable. But, they were actually very interesting and not a waste of time at all! I also took the opportunity to try to breastfeed in as many government buildings as possible- got to assert those rights. ; )


Mount Vernon



On the Potomac
 
Part of the group
(Brian, Grammee, Beckie, David, Dmitri, Caroline, Deborah, Neal, and Sharon)



The Capitol Building dome



The Library of Congress Ceiling



The Supreme Court

All in all, it was a great trip. We hope to return sometime soon- there is so much more that we did not get to see! Maybe when it's a little warmer, however! Did I mention how frigid it was??! At one point, I turned to David and said, "There is no doubt in my mind that this is what hell must feel like."



No comments: