Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Closing

We closed on the house yesterday! It is ours! After two years of house-hunting, putting offers on three houses, and waiting six months to hear back, we have finally closed on our dream home. It's been an emotional few days; we can hardly believe that we are moving past this liminal stage in our lives and settling down a little.

Closing was interesting. It went well for the most part, except that I think I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome. Not only did I have to sign my rather long name (23 letters), I also had to sign as "attorney in fact" for our co-signer. So it looked like this

(Their long-ass name here) by and through his attorney in fact (my long-ass name here).

On every single document, in addition to my own name. Like 200 times. And, because we missed a page, and I signed my own name incorrectly, we had to go back to the attorney's office twice. Also, bringing a teething baby to a closing was an awful idea. Next time - get a babysitter.

But, that all seemed so trivial when David and I opened the door and walked inside our first home. Without a real estate agent. Just the three of us, coming home. It seemed so peaceful and quiet. David said, it makes me feel like we need a herd of animals and a brood of children running around barefoot. I agreed.

We took our first load of boxes over, and began picking out paint colors. The U-Haul has been reserved, and we will be making the big move on Friday.

Caroline

21 comments:

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Congrats on the house! How exciting! I hope that you three have many happy memories there. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

congrats!! Now the work begins as you make it your own!! Enjoy!

tessica said...

congrats congrats!
can't wait to see all the decorating photos to come!

the thrifty ba said...

congrats! it feels so good to own your own home!

Rachel and John said...

Decorating your new house is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to see what you've decided. Who doesn't love before and afters?

Pieces of Dreams said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for the three of you (and thank you for sharing that moment when the three of you walked into your home without the agent!) Good luck with your move on Friday! Karen

barbie said...

hooray!

Sarah said...

How exciting! Congratulations!

Sarah @ Dream in Domestic said...

Congrats! I would be so excited (and maybe a little scared as well, which is normal)! I bet you are so happy to have a place to call your own and to raise your family in!

Sarah said...

I am so happy for you. Congratulations and best wishes. =]

Jillian said...

Congrats Caroline!! That's awesome!

Jenny said...

Congrats! What an exciting experience. I can't wait to see what you do with the place!

Eliza said...

Congrats!!!!! This is wonderful!!!! Many happy memories in your new home!

{Kimber} said...

yay for dream houses and getting them :)

Vanessa said...

I'm running around playing catch-up -- CONGRATULATIONS!!! :-) How exciting! Can't wait to see what you do to the place!

Anonymous said...

Nice topics, I am looking this type of topics, I want more. I know The best chiropractic clinic helps people in Suwanee GA with back pain, neck pain, headaches.

suwanee chiropractic

Unknown said...

Very exciting! Congratulations!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Congratulations! Such an exciting time!

Cindy said...

Congrats. I can't wait to see pics. I wish you all the best of luck.

Leanne said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for your family and the memories you'll be making in your new home.

Anonymous said...

Jealous! We're still waiting to find our old farmhouse. I'm definitely bookmarking your blog to my favourites. Thanks!