My dear friend and doula, Alexa, (who has 7 years of breastfeeding experience) recently wrote a list of Top 10 Accessories for a Nursing Mama. I hope they encourage some of you nursing mamas (or soon-to-be), and make you smile!
1. A nursing tank top- love them more than nursing bras.
2-4. Good Nursing Bras- 2 comfy ones (Bravado, Blue Canoe) and 2 that make you feel pretty (I never...um...explored those.)
5. Nipple salve (i.e. AngelBaby)
6. A water bottle you love and that's big because you're going to be thirsty as hell & you'll finally realize what all the hype is about the "Big Gulps" people buy from the gas station
7. A nursing-friendly baby carrier
8. A "nursing necklace" or other distract-my-child-from-twiddling-my-other-nipple-tool
9. A standing weekly appointment with a chiropractor or massage therapist to work out the kinks that come from bending in all kinds of weird ways in order to be able to just nurse the baby as he simultaneously (pick one of the following):
a) is asleep in your bed & you wouldn't dare move him
b) is NOT asleep but IS in your bed and you want a position where YOU can sleep
c) is getting his diaper changed by papa & won't stop screaming so breast comes in from above
d) is riding in a rear facing carseat on a road trip and you are not going to pull the car over one. more. time. just smile and wave to the passersby.
e) he's an EC baby & will only pee in the middle of the night while nursing...good luck with that- nothing says "EC works" likes a little potty full of pee spilled in the bed at 2am (am I the only one? I love EC btw.)
f) nursing while YOU potty...you know you've done it.
10. A sign on your forehead that says,
"1) yes, I'm feeding my baby. 2) I know, you're sorry you looked, you thought he was "sleeping." 3) no, I'm not worried about him biting me...I think "natural selection" is smarter than that 4) no, I don't know when he will stop. get use to it...you'll be seeing a lot more of it."
Notice I didn't put in any nursing cover-ups because, well, I'll keep my mouth shut now.
I've been breastfeeding for two years straight now, and I think that all breastfeeding mamas need encouragement from time to time. It's not without it's challenges! Sometimes all we can do is laugh about it...
In other news, get yours fridges ready, I will be hosting a "What's in Your Fridge Linky Party" on Friday! (Sorry for the delay, my camera broke. And well, I don't think it's fair for me to ask YOU to reveal your deepest secrets without me showing what's hiding in my vegetable drawer...)
4 minutes ago