Friday, June 8, 2012

In My Kitchen & Garden

Our small garden is coming along. A lot of my seedlings didn't make it, and I started another round. I'm hoping for a bigger fall garden, but for now, here is a peek into my June garden.

 Our first ripe Sungolds! (Dmitri's tomato plants.)

So excited. ("Take a picture, take a picture!") Dmitri planting his tomato plants here.

 Lettuce in a pot.

 New lettuce in the ground.

 This squash plant makes me giggle.

 A squash blossom.

And I've spent the last three days working on these lovelies:
Strawberry jam & Peach Butter

It's the first time I've ever canned on my own, so they did not turn out perfectly. But they are delicious. I found it so fulfilling to pick the berries myself, make jam, can them, and have them sitting on the shelf for when berries aren't readily available. I think I'm going to like this new pursuit, despite the similarities to spending days in a sauna.

For now, we are absolutely gorging ourselves on blueberries, strawberries, and peaches. With yogurt, on biscuits, plain. We are about to go for a picnic with arugula, peach, & balsamic dressing in a wrap for lunch. No complaints here...happy happy deliciously-stocked kitchen. My littles could not be happier.

On the list for this week...homemade peach ice cream. And I still have more peaches to turn into butter.

Stripping in my Georgia kitchen,

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Very nice! I'm growing Sungolds too. They're so sweet and good.

Abby said...

The garden looks wonderful, Caroline! How fun!

Clandestine Road said...

Canning is my goal for this summer. So far, I've only made freezer jam. I'm chuffed to give it a shot.

Freezing my bum off in Washington,
Angela

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

All that fruit looks so pretty sitting in a row on your shelf! I've never tried canning...I am inspired.

Michelle said...

Great little garden you have there! We've just moved so I'm a *little* late getting the veggies planted. Fortunately, fresh fruits are in abundance around here and I've been doing lots of canning. Its absolutely addictive isn't? Its like wrapping gifts that I get to open at Christmas :-)

Sparky said...

Hi Caroline, i had lost your blog...and found you again...a new baby, 2 tots of joy and your joys and trials....so sorry to read about coyotees we too have had some challenges with them ....May the summer bring wonderful warm delights...