Monday, March 22, 2010

Pedestal Table FAQ



Here are some FAQ's and tips on how I painted my kitchen table!

How did you prepare the table for painting?
-I sanded the top until it was down to the bare wood. I used a mouse sander with 80 grit sand paper first to get the bulk of the work done, then I followed it with 120 grit sandpaper (sanded by hand) to give it a smooth look. Always sand with the grain! 

As for the pedestal, I did nothing to it...maybe I should have sanded it a little. But it didn't have much of a finish on it, and it appears to have taken the paint very well. I used Valspar's Honeymilk in a satin finish.

Can you give me any tips on the pedastal as well as the top?
- I painted the pedestal first. It was very easy to paint - I just flipped it upside down. I used a medium size brush and painted three coats. I gave the top two coats of stain. I started with a rag, but in the end decided that a brush works best. The can of stain usually has pretty good instructions on staining! I let the stain dry for 24 hours before applying polycrylic in satin. I LOVE that stuff. It's soo much better than polyurethane. I had a high gloss polyurethane the first time I stained the table and it was really hard to keep clean. I just didn't feel like it looked good.

What did you do with your chairs?

Nothing! Yet. I am having a hard time deciding what to do with them. They are currently painted white (but they don't match the pedestal). So, I am either going to paint them Honeymilk, paint them a fun color (like turquoise), or get new chairs (either vintage or really modern).

Decisions... = /

Any ideas or opinions? 



12 comments:

Growin' Owens said...

The table looks awesome. I am about to do the same thing to my light pine kitchen table. I think the table would look super cute with different chairs to give it an eclectic look, or turquoise like you said. Inspiration piece, thanks!

Kristi & Mike said...

THANK YOU so much for the help. You have really inspired me to get going on my table. Yeah, the chairs...mine are ghetto with fabric. I think I am going to have to start looking on craigslist for some vintage ones. Thanks again for your help. I look forward to your future projects!

Lynne said...

You rock- thanks so much for the info post! Your pedestal looks so smooth I can't believe it's valspar and with a brush! I'm refinishing an old dresser with valspar snowy dawn and the brush marks are AWFUL. So sad and frustrating. I need to just just in and try mine. For my chairs I think I may do seats in brown and legs-spindles/backs white. Thanks again!

Kughn Family said...

I recently did my table the same way. The top is stained and the pedistal is a creamy white. I have also been wondering what to do with my chairs. My chairs are stained but they do not match the recently refinished table top. This drives me crazy. I have been thinking about painting my chairs a cranberry red. I like the idea of a shot of color.

KiraAJ said...

HEY! That is my table! :) I baught a similar one off craigslist last yr i wanted a useful computer desk/table for our bedroom and i went with that same table i baught it froma lil old lady for 30$ it came with 3 chairs that were a lil EHH I sanded down the entire table n all and i painted it a sage/byleaf green i was goin to stain it but after sandin it i didnt like the grain very much so i did something i know u dont do to oak.....LOL i slapped paint all over it! The table top is the green colour i mentioned and the pedestal is a cream colour! I did the same combo to the chairs as well!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

I love this idea!! I recently did the same thing (on a much smaller scale) to a console table. It makes it look so much more modern! You did a wonderful job on the table.

http://ourhouseonthecorner.blogspot.com/2010/10/drab-to-fab-console-table.html

Moghimi Family said...

I LOVE what you did with this table! I have the same table and I am totally going to use your idea! {Thanks for posting it.}

I'm going to do my chairs like this:
http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/11/pillows-by-charlie-and-dining-table-by.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ThriftyHomeDecorationsAndAccessories+%28Thrifty+Home+Decorations+and+Accessories%29

Only I don't have fabric on my chairs, so I'm going to stain the seats to match the top of YOUR table!

What did you end up doing with your chairs?

Lksmith58 said...

What brand and color stain did you use? It's exactly like mine and I need to refinish it.

Anonymous said...

I was also wondering what brand and color of stain you used. I hope to have my finished round pedestal table looking just like yours!
Thanks for a great tutorial!

Kelley said...

Thank you for such wonderful advice! I have this same table and it's the same boring medium oak since I brought it home. I have wanted to tackle this project since day one. Love it!

Rosalyn said...

This i@ also my very same kitchen table. I restrained and painted mine about 4 years ago. It looks good.and I have had this table going on 18 years. (Good solid table, bought from JCPenny) I didn't do the chairs, but the red sounds really cute, hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the beginning of trying to find a table and redo it. What chairs did you end up going with? Do you have any updated pictures?