Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Master Bed: How We Built It

These are the details on how we built our master bed! 

Ana White at Knock-Off Wood wrote up plans for how to build a Queen-sized Fancy Arched Bed, inspired by the Gustavian Collection by Viva Terra. However, we needed a King-sized bed, so I modified the plans. Here are the details of what we bought and how we built it. If you would like to build the same bed, follow Ana's directions, but this should help with the details of modifying it from a queen to a king. Also, we chose to build a platform installation since we do not have box springs. If you plan to use box springs, the bed frame/platform part will be different from ours.

Shopping List

All boards are 8 ft. except the 1x6s. They can be 6 ft.

13 1x6 boards (We upgraded to white pine boards, as opposed to furring strips)
2 1x3 boards (for headboard)
14 1x3 furring strips (for slats: we did a platform installation)
5 1x2 furring strips (3 for the headboard and two for the slat supports on frame)
3 1x10 boards (for bed frame)
1 1x8 board (for bed frame)
1 2x6 board (for center support)

2" screws (1 box)
1 1/4" screws (2 boxes)
wood glue
wood filler
stain/paint/finish of choice: We used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and Polycrylic in Clear Satin.

Tools We Used
Miter Saw (any saw will do)
Jig Saw (we purchased one for $30, for the occasion)
Drill
Level
Tape Measurer
 Square
Sander
Paint brushes


Cut List

Headboard:
9– 1x6 @ 57 3/4"  (Inner Panel Pieces)
4 – 1x6 @ 47 3/4" (Outer Panel Pieces)
2– 1x3 @ 47 3/4" (Legs)
2– 1x2 @ 10" (Headboard supports. We waited until we had the bed frame and front legs completely built before we made the cut for the back legs legs to make sure it was completely level)
2– 1x2 @ 75" (Headboard Panel support)
1 – 1x2 @ 60" (Headboard Panel Support)


Bed Frame:

2 – 1×10 @ 81 1/2″ (Side Rails)
1 – 1×10 @ 76″ (Foot Rail)
1 – 1×8 @ 76″ (Headboard Rail)
2 – 1×4 @ 17 1/2″ (Outer Leg)
2 – 1x2  @ 80" (Support rails for slats or box spring, depending on preference)
2 – 1×3 @ 8 1/2″ (Inner support leg)

Platform:
1 – 2×6 @ 80″ (Center Support)
14 – 1×3 @ 76″ (Slats if building platform, DO NOT build if you use box springs)

Total Cost: < $200 including the purchase of a jig saw

Building Photos:
Here is what the bed frame and slats looks like before the legs are drilled on.

Installing the legs
It's got legs!!

We laid out the boards for the headboards and then attached 2 -1x2s to hold it together. We then traced our pattern and jig sawed the headboard. After wards, we attached the third 1x2 at the top.

 
This is the finished headboard (the back of it).

 Time to finish! Dmitri knows how to use a paint brush.

We finished the wood by sanding it (using 50 grit, 80 grit, and 120 grit sandpaper in that order). Followed by three applications of Minwax Dark Walnut stain. We applied with a brush and wiped it off with a cloth. We then applied two coats of Mixwax Polycrylic in Clear Satin. Let dry! And then we assembled the whole shebang.

And here it is again:
Yep, I still love it!


Doubts? We are definitely not building experts! We are just two parents and college students on a budget, who don't even like math. This is only our second building project, and it's the first time we have ever used a jig saw. If we can do it, I'm pretty sure anyone can do it. Just go for it!
 

33 comments:

Rachel and John said...

Beautiful!

Abby said...

I am just super-impressed that you built this bed yourselves; I would never have the courage! It looks amazing.

Gina@ Temporary Nest said...

Its absolutely beautiful. You guys really out did yourselves. I am now DYING to make a bed for myself. Might not be too far off! Do you have any under bed storage? Can you fit standard tupperwear containers under it? In an apartment as small as mine under bed storage is a must! Great job!

Momma Rhyne said...

So great! How does the mattress not slide around? (Maybe I should just tell my kids to stop jumping on my bed, haha)

Jen said...

Oh wow, this is one super cool project!! I LOVE it!

Happy Thursday Dear!

Oh, and have entered my EmersonMade GIVEAWAY yet?

Roeshel said...

Oh my! It's gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! We have plans to modify Anna White's plans for something too. Hoping ours turns out half as amazing as yours! Love it!

Roeshel

Erika said...

Wow! That bed is absolutely amazing. I am sort of having bed envy right now.
Thanks for stopping by my place too.
Let me know if you ever find an easy way to get the little one out of your bed.
Oh, and congrats on baby number two. How exciting.

Erika @ Retropolitan

the cape on the corner said...

i can't even wrap my head around all those numbers, but the bed looks great! fantastic job, you brave souls, you!

mary said...

that really is a beautiful bed. well done.

[ker-AND-uh] said...

This is a dumb question about the jigsaw...and all of your cutting really.. Did you have a table that you put stuff on before cutting it?

Ruthie {Look Learn Love} said...

Wow I am completely inspired to try something (and totally intimidated) - it turned out beeeaaauuutiiful! Thanks for stopping by today :)

Heather said...

WOW! What a gorgeous bed. I love the picture too, that you were inspired from - how cool. what a fun blog you have, xxoo

Kate at Dream To Life said...

That is absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing your tips!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for doing this project on your own and sharing with the rest of us. I wasnt so sure I could take it on until I saw your finished product. My husband is on board and that pretty much never happens. Thanks again :)

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d said...

Your bed is beautiful!! Great work!

Stephanie said...

I am so impressed! Beautiful:)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

The stain you chose is fabulous on that style headboard. Really nice. Works.

Kelly

clairebear said...

love your site, and love ana white! ive been eyeing this bed for a while and just need to take the plunge. do you mind saying how much it cost all included? and whether you had to by a jig rig thingamabob? (I think I'll have to buy one or two tools)
by the way, beautiful!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Great tutorial. This is going to make it easy for us to build one of these headboards for our daughters bed.It turned out so pretty and to think you did it yourselves. How cool!

Unknown said...

That's so impressive! I love a good DIY project and have a half-painted high gloss white campaign dresser on a dropcloth as I type! Have a wonderful week : )

mary W. said...

Obsession with the DIY headboard! LOVE your vision!

Moghimi Family said...

Did you rent those tools or did you buy them?

Anonymous said...

AWESOME bed. definitely bookmarking so i can refer back to it when i need a new bed (and will be needing a king, so great to have the new measurements/supplies). also--thanks for visiting my site, i'm glad you came so i could find yours :)

Mandy said...

omgosh! i'm in love!!!! we've been wanting #1 a new bedroom suit #2 a bigger bed. hoping to get the hubby on board with this! :) where did you find the matching bedside tables? :)

mandy

http://makingmemoriesofuschadandmandy.blogspot.com/

The Hidden LIst said...

Great DIY! I like the finish that you chose.

Meghan Rickard said...

It is gorgeous! I have been looking for a toddler bed for my Daughter, but I could build sometime like this that is easy and unique (and gorgeous) :)

Unknown said...

Very pretty! I also built this bed (converted to a king, I changed my mind before I finished it though and now it's being turned into a daybed for the guest room!

Liz said...

I'm in love with this bed. Thank you for sharing this process. Do you think it could work if you just made the headboard?

kzoe said...

Hi!
We have a silly question. Do you think we can build this with a mini kreg jig? We're total building novices and dont want to spend 100 on a kreg jig but aren't entirely sure what it does outside of clamping. I know you did without a kreg jig at all, but with the slats, but that looks kinda complicated too. Thanks!

The Feminist Housewife said...

Kzoe-

I've never used a mini kreg jig so I'm not sure! We felt that using slats was pretty simple. We are building novices and didn't have any problems doing it that way. = )

Good luck building!
Caroline

Natalie said...

You are AMAZING!!! That is INCREDIBLE! I cannot wait to get into our next house & build one of these. Thank you so much for sharing your hard efforts with us. Truly amazing!

rockstars said...

I was resigned to buying the $2,000+ bed that you designed this one after. It is my dream bed after all, but my husband just found your site and we will now be building one. Thanks for your tutorial and inspiration! Yippee for you and for me when I get mine.

Tamra said...

On your bed, do you ever wish you used 2x10 boards for the frame.

Thanks!