Monday, January 10, 2011

Master Bedroom Update: Bedding & Stencil

We started our Master Bedroom overhaul with our highest priority: getting our mattress off of the floor and into a bed. But as in love with our bed as I was, it was almost impossible to enjoy it while staring at a room that looked like a little punk ate an orange creamsicle and puked all over our walls. Here is Dmitri demonstrating his disgust:

I couldn't agree more, Dmitri. 

Not only were the walls pretty gross, but we were using trash bags as interim window treatments and my desk had become an orphanage for things that did not have a home. Not exactly the kind of ambiance that sings "master suite." Nor was it the kind of place where I would want to have a home birth. It actually made me want to scream, "take me to a hospital, NOW." And that's saying a lot, since I am not a huge fan of hospitals or their decor choices.

A picture to demonstrate:

That's embarrassing.

So we (and be we, I mean David and a friend of ours)  painted away the tumultuous puke-orange color and replaced it with a crisp, clean white. Then they got down with a stencil from Sunny's Goodtime Paint. It was just what the room needed. A mixture of peace and funk. We threw on our Anthropologie bedding (after cleaning it from the previous diaper incident), and hung faux-wood white blinds. So without further ado (if you haven't already skipped this rambling to get to the good stuff), photos of our master bedroom:

Love.

A view of the bedroom from the entry door.

 
The other side

 A space of my own

Full frontal

Cue the "We've come a long way, baby..." I'm loving it. I might never leave the bedroom, as opposed to only going in there with the lights out to sleep. I obviously have some accessorizing, window treating, and organizing to do. But I could not be more thrilled with the progress we've made. I sleep better at night, and my crazy hormonal nesting monster is appeased, for the moment.

Sources:
Stencil: Bea Stencil Size Large from Sunny's Goodtime Paint - $40
Bedding: Guru Paisley from Anthropologie: King Size Duvet and shams via eBay - $110
Throw Pillow: Liberty of London from Target: $12

Paint: Olympic No-VOC from Lowe's 
Green: -Emerald Isle
White: color matched to Valspar's Homestead Resort Jefferson White

Can't get enough?
-Click here to see how we built our bed
-Click here for FAQ's!

I linked up at the DIY Parade & Metamorphosis Monday!

41 comments:

caycee said...

This is amazing I love it girl!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

WOW! I am in love with your room! It feels calm and fun at the same time...you guys did such a great job! Our room is on the list for this year, it needs help.

the girl in the red shoes said...

LOVE it!

Green Door Girl said...

GORGEOUS - I love the redo - the stencil is great and goes so well with the bedding! Linking over from Metamorphis Monday :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new space. It is totally awesome. HUGE change from before. I wanted to share with you some big news from my homefront. My hubs and I are building a king size bed just like yours! I'm sure I'll have questions but for now...did you sand/stain/varnish before or after you built? Thanks!
Polly, from Kansas.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i wish you could hear me scream, "i love it i love it i love it!!!" through the monitor! it's soooo glamorous, yet comfy chic, and just pure awesomeness! i am getting my fam room drywalled now and have plans to paint one dark gray accent all and the other 3 white. hoping i get a stencil through diyclub so i can add a stencil, but am waiting on that (rahter get it than have to buy it!). your wall looks phenomenal!

Wives said...

omigosh - this is so cute!! hey -ive seen that desk/table somewhere -is it from pier 1?? i COVET that!!

Ruthie {Look Learn Love} said...

Ummm I'm completely floored! I didn't know a room could undergo such a complete transformation. It looks amazing, the stenciled wall took it all to a new level.

Sarah said...

Love it! It looks like something from a magazine. A great example of how you can do amazing things on a small budget with a little elbow grease!

coolkids said...

wow!!!!!!! looks awesome! BTW love the profile pic. You look adorable. Stop by tomrorrow for a cute giveaway for Dimitri! thecoolkidsblog.com

Mandi Miller said...

Caroline! That looks amazing! You should definitely feel more comfortable with a home birth in that beautiful bedroom!

KiraAJ said...

O M G! Its gawjuss! LOVE LOVE love the entire room! You did really well darls!

CourtneyKeb said...

Where in the world did you get the energy to do ALL of this??????
Let me know where it comes from because if the effects are as pretty as your room, I need some too!

Rachel and John said...

It's super beautiful!

Sarah said...

Wow! AMAZING job girl! It is absolutely beautiful!!

Mommy Minded said...

Oh my goodness! I love it!

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Caroline, your bedroom is so pretty! I love the stencil and the color. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

Wow! That is such a striking bedroom. I love the mix of prints. And the colours are so fresh. Amazing job.
~Tanya
dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.com

michelle said...

Wow I love that color and the stencils are gorgeous!! I don't blame you for not wanting to leave the room! Love the bedding too, very fun!

Momma Rhyne said...

Oh it looks fab!! Love the stencils!!

Momma Rhyne said...

Oh and might I add a huge THANK You for the stencil recommendation. I have been eyeballing some on some other much more expensive site ($60) and that is NOT in our budget! Yay! Thanks

mary said...

oh. my. goodness. your room looks fabulous. i love the stencil, the bedding, and of course, your bed looks great.

the funny/sad thing is that i totally understand what you meant about not wanting to give birth in that room. with my first son, we were planning a homebirth and i was totally restless thinking of people in our messy room. but then he was breach for the last month and had to be born via c-section.

wishing you a peaceful birth in your beautiful nest.

SHERRY HART said...

Be-u-ti-ful!!!!!!! What a difference some paint and stencil make!!!

Jenny said...

It is amazing. I love how bold the colors are. I'm so excited for you two!

Val said...

Wow, what an amazing color!!! Great job.

Katy said...

Hey where did you get the stencil!? I love that..and what a good job on that bed! :)
Thank you for the advice, I hadn't considered getting rid of the chairs yet, but I bet that is what I need to do.

Katie Olthoff said...

I so admire your bold color choices. It seems so "daring" to me. I love it, though! The stencil is great!

Clandestine Road said...

It looks amazing! And how cute is your son!

Sharstin said...

oh wow! the colors are so bright and fun~ turned out great!

Lauren said...

This is FANTASTIC and so inspiring!!! Wow, Love it!! the bed, the wall stencil, the bedding! eek!

Unknown said...

Love the colors! I have reached my limit of followers but Im saving your page!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Oh wow, that stenciled wall is beautiful! What a great idea to add some personality. That color looks great with your dark wood headboard, too.

the cape on the corner said...

holy before and after! it looks amazing, all bold and fun, and it feels so quick. maybe that's just b/c we move so incredibly slow...congrats on your "new" room!

Val said...

Holy Cow! That looks amazing! Your post made me laugh because not so many posts ago I had a rant about our master suite...geting on my last nerve...bed on the floor, towels for curtains...but it's slowly coming together..at least now I have some faux blinds and new outlets and covers :)!Thanks for visiting!

Heather @ REOlisticRenovation said...

Love those walls!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow what a transformation! It looks like a different room.You all did such an excellent job!

Anonymous said...

Great DIY room make-over!!! I'm sure it feels awesome! Congrats! And I Love the Bed frame, it's beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Ive been a lurker on your page for a month or so since i ran across it while googling other pregnant mamas ( im due May 3 ) and i am totally impressed by how your room turned out! it looks like it could come out of the better homes and gardens magazine or something LOVE IT! Great Job!

Fran said...

Looks amazing!!! Congrats!

Danielle said...

This looks so wonderful! I'm both ashamed and inspired that you managed to get all this done while both taking care of a child and going to school. Most of the time we can barely manage to go to class and keep the laundry done around here :)

kzoe said...

Hi, I love this bed! Looking forward to making it.

Did you lay anything down over your hardwood floors? We are renting and scared of ruining them. Also, do you think we could build on carpet?