Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A New Year: A New List (2013)

Happy New Year!

2013 is here. I think it will be brimming with excitement.

We have a shephard's pie in the oven, and we are cooking up some black eyed peas and cabbage from my winter garden. Our New Year's celebration is pretty low key, focused around yummy food, and just hanging out with our little family. (And we are watching Bleak House. Nothing like Charles Dickens to think about life and a new chapter).

I know many people make fun of New Year's resolutions, but I for one, celebrate and take advantage of any opportunity to set goals and make lists - two of my absolute favorite things.

With a new little one to look forward to this year, and a possible move, it's hard for me to know what will be attainable this year. But there are several goals that I can take with me wherever I stay or go.

1. Read more!

I think I read two full books this past year...maybe three. I feel like that's a little sad. My goal is 13 books in 2013. It doesn't really matter what type of book, as long as I'm reading something! I might check out a few that our avid reader friend Abby has written about.

2. Finish an unfinished project.

Oftentimes, resolutions are about new things. Unfinished things are lying all around me. I just want to finish one (and maybe it will inspire me to finish two, or three....)

3. Knit a hat

The only thing I have knitted is a scarf, I think it's time to branch out of my comfort zone and try something new. And with a little one to look forward to, knitting hats seems like a natural choice.

4. Practice photography


On my littles. On my friends' littles. On anyone that will let me...

5. Decide on/invent a "homeschool" preschool plan for the year.


A little Waldorf plus a lot of classic books. Nothing super formal, just ideas and a plan to help us have fun, try new things, and explore.

And of course, have that baby, try to sell our house, perhaps move, perhaps not, and all of that awesome stuff... I have no doubt that it will prove to be a wonderful, but crazy year.

What about you? Any resolutions for the new year?!
I hope your day is a wonderful start to 2013 (and if its not, there is a whole year to turn it around, right?!)

And I'm taking book recommendations too...

3 comments:

Laurel said...

This is a fun YA series I read this year. The Sisters Grimm by Michael Buckley. The first one is called "The Fairy Tale Detectives"

If you are into dystopian lit: I highly recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth. Very Good.

Other then reading about Natural Childbirth, I plan on reading up on my Brothers Grimm. I too am planning a Waldorf curriculum sometime this year for next school year. Hopefully, we will be able to spring board ideas off each other. Good Luck with everything you have going on this year. I wish you nothing but the best!

Abby said...

Happy new year, Caroline and family! These are great goals and I definitely think you are certainly capable of a wonderful year of accomplishment; I'm amazed at all that you do already! I can't imagine being as accomplished as you and being a full-time mom to two little boys! Best wishes to you and yours.

rebcres said...

Anything by Ruth Ozeki or Barbara Kingsolver. I LOVE those two authors and could read them over and over!