Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Long Trip and a short post

We just returned home to Athens a couple hours ago after ten long days of traveling. I'm sure I will write all about it when I am not so exhausted. However, I wanted to share this excerpt about breastfeeding!


Indiscreet Breastfeeding Manifesto
  • I will nurse my child anytime, anywhere, no matter who is present or what I am wearing.
  • I will bare my breast with pride and confidence.
  • I will not apologize for nourishing and nurturing my child.
  • I will not smother my child with a napkin or blanket.
  • I will smile at everyone around me and ignore rude stares.
  • I will know that I am giving my child the perfect infant food from the most efficient, ecological, and economical delivery system.
  • I will know that I am giving my child the healthy start that is his or her birthright.
  • I will set an example for women and girls, educate the public, dispel breastfeeding myths, desexualize the breast, and make the world a better place, all through the simple act of feeding my child. 
-from http://www.mothering.com/bashful-brazen-indiscreet-breastfeeders-manifesto
I had a difficult time at first being comfortable with breastfeeding anywhere. I have definitely gotten over most of my reservations! Our trips this holiday are proof of that...I breastfed in The Library of Congress, The Capitol building, and outside at Mount Vernon, not to mention numerous restaurants.

This is not to be abrasive, but I just wanted to encourage other breastfeeding mothers (and future mothers!).

Happy New Year!
~ Caroline

No comments: