Thursday, June 3, 2010

Doorhandles: Fast & Cheap Solutions



The small details make a big difference when it comes to making a house feel pulled together. Door handles are the perfect example of something small that can make a place look nice or trashy. Our door handles are every different size and shape imaginable. To replace them all would have been pretty expensive. And why replace anything if you can just give them a facelift!






  c


After a quick spray from this paint in oil rubbed bronze ($5 or $6 at Lowe's)...





 

I am so glad that they are all the same color now! I don't think the pictures even give them justice. It's really amazing the difference that they make in each room. So if you have any ulgy, tacky brass hardware in your home, don't feel like you have to drop hundreds to get an updated look!






7 comments:

Eliza said...

I have the most hideous builder-grade brass dining room light fixture (it's truly aweful and the bane of my existence)...maybe I will try this!

Your door knobs like great!

Unknown said...

I love that finish! We just bought our house last Summer - the previous oweners remodeled the upstairs and everything is pretty and modern, stainless steel accents everywhere, but the downstairs is about 30 years behind the times. I think fresh paint, replacing the carpets/baseboards, and refinishing the doorknobs would work wonders.

jenj22 said...

what paint was that. I would like to try it. All my knobs are brass. yuck!

The Shrub said...

I LOOVE ORB!! It's got such a nice finish, and is pretty "sturdy" for spray paint finish! Good job! They look much friendlier (as in...people will notice how GOOD they look!).
Have an awesome Friday! :o)

Renanda said...

That looks amazing! I am seriously jealous. We have polyurethane overload at our house... The baseboards and all the doors are polycoated with brass knobs, yuck. It's high shine everywhere I turn. I have yet to find a solution but painting the knobs helps push me in the right direction. Did you take the knobs off before spraying? Did you use a primer?

Susie said...

They look awesome! Same question - did you remove them before painting?

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

Good advice. I have like 50 different door knobs in my house.