Thursday, February 9, 2012

Boredom is a Dangerous Thing: Cockadoodledoo.

I've always been a schemer. Just ask my mother, or my husband. Strange, beautiful, weird, ideas bounce around in my head constantly. And with a little extra mental space sans school, my mind is running rampant. Some of them are pretty normal, like the vacation that I am planning. And others, a little less normal, perhaps.

I am always dreaming of growing our family just a little bit more. (What can I say, I love life.)

Today, meet the beginning of one of my dreams, turned reality.

This is Chanticleer.



He is a Buff Orpington rooster. And we love him already. We got him from a friend who ended up with two roosters, which didn't go so well. So we are happy to have him as the first of our flock. Some new friends of ours (whom we met because they bought our Escape through Craigslist!), passed on their coop to us. I felt a little sad taking it, because it was obvious that they had put a lot of love into building it. But I'm excited to give it a new life, and for some chickens to be able to enjoy all of their hard work. Chanticleer seems to be very happy in it.

This morning, he greeted us with a cock-a-doodle-doo. And it was beautiful.

7 comments:

Samantha said...

Too bad you won't be getting any eggs.

The Parker's said...

He was "crowning" his new home!

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

We've got 4 chickens and love our fresh eggs. No roosters for us though as we live right next to Sydney's CBD in an inner city suburb.

Marcelle said...

Lucky you! He's beautiful. What kind of hens are you thinking of getting?

I'm also dreaming of having a chicken coop in the next few years. Our neighbourhood covenants do not allow them, but I'm hoping my neighbours will be ok with an exemption to the rule as our lots are fairly large (one acre).

Harmony said...

O.M.G. so jealous! I've been pipe-dreaming about getting chickens all year! We had chickens when I was little and I loved tending to them. Plus, the eggs! Only a few impediments: how do I build a good coop? What do you do with chickens in the winter in The Land Of Frozen Tundra? Will I be required to kill anything for their protection? If/when I get them, I'm going Ameraucana--lovely egg colors! More pondering is required ;-)

Mama Gone Green said...

Fun! We have ducks, and it has been amazing to see how much fun Finn has running around the back yard with them. Plus, the eggs are great. ;)

Christy said...

A little schemer..aye? Too funny that a rooster came into your hands;) I bet your family will loving having this "addition"!